Sunday, October 4, 2015

I've Been Waiting for This Day!



The other night, I had the unique opportunity to attend a showing of Attack on Titan: the live-action movie, part one. Having skipped the big-screen event that was Dragon Ball: Resurrection F due to not being a Dragon Ball fan, and later regretting the missed opportunity, I was really looking forward to this. Did the film deliver? Well, as I expected, it turned out to be a mixed bag.

First off, the designs were outstanding. The Titans looked just as scary/creepy/funny as you'd hope they would, thanks to a combination of CG and makeup that really worked. I liked how you could recognize some of the more distinctive Titans from the series, but there were some original ones that were just as memorable. Likewise, the Colossal Titan and Eren's transformation put their own distinct flair on the show's look without feeling out of place.

The setting was less recognizable as Attack on Titan. The show looked like you could plant any wall or town into any medieval European setting with no problem; most everything is wood and stone, with nary a piece of technology in sight save the maneuver gear. The movie is distinctly post-apocalypse. Everything's gray and dirty. The walls look like they're pieced together out of scrap metal, not particularly sturdy at all. Hell, the military uses vehicles in their mission beyond the wall, which threw me for a loop. Overall, though, the setting works to fit the movie's dour mood.



What didn't work so well were the characters. It's unfair to expect any but a few real-life actors to be as physically and emotionally appealing as cartoon characters, so I wasn't let down per se. Still, it's annoying to keep mixing the actors up and be unsure who died. Character arcs were watered down out of necessity; what can you do in ninety minutes with a large cast? I could fill in character quirks and backstories thanks to my familiarity with the anime, but I can't say if the uninitiated would have been invested.

Pacing was a bigger issue. The very beginning dragged its introduction of the principle cast more than it needed to. Though again, I already know their characters, I felt seconds tick by as we watched them without learning anything new about them. Sometimes you'll get a neat shot to build anticipation, like an unknown character gearing up for battle, only to cut back to other characters doing less exciting things for minutes before the anticipated cool thing actually happens. And some of the “romance” scenes in the middle? Awkward. Very awkward.

I wish the music had been better. I knew even before checking that Shiro Sagisu did the composing, because it sounds almost exactly like his work in the Rebuild of Evangelion movies; almost all ominous chanting, with a few scattered piano pieces. A little more variety would have been nice, especially since ominous chanting isn't all that effective whenever awesome stuff isn't happening to back it up. Also, what the hell? A hip-hop song for the ending credits? No.

The issue of subtitle errors, though I joke about it in the title, did not occur in my theatre. My sympathies go out to attendees who had to deal with this, as well as the Funimation employees who received the blowback.

In spite of these many flaws, I have to admit I had a great time, thanks to a pumped-up, almost-full house. There's really nothing like a theatre packed with fans to increase your enjoyment of a film. To clap when certain characters appear. To laugh at the jokes, and the Titans. To let out a collective “What?” at aforementioned action scenes. To cheer the awesomely gorey action scenes, of which there were plenty. Attack on Titan: Part One may be a flawed work, but one with a lot of skill and heart behind it that I think carried through to everyone. That's about as good a summary I can give of an experience only half complete.

I look forward to fixing that later this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment