Sunday, January 3, 2016

Fall 2015 Overview

This was quite a strong season overall; there were few, if any shows I'd actually call weak, and many pleasant surprises. So let's get to it, shall we?

Concrete Revolutio

I, like most other watchers, don't know exactly what to make of this show. It's quirky and convoluted to a fault, though that's arguable part of its charm. My main problem would be the show's message, or what I perceive as the show's message: there is no such thing as true justice, as even supposed evildoers have their reasons for doing things. That's way too simple a message for a show as ambitious as this, and the characters all seem like idiots for constantly failing to grasp this idea. At least it's a colorful, energetic diversion.

Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid

Having seen a number of Hiraku Kaneko-directed shows, I thought he was good only with the fanservice-related aspects of anime and nothing else. While no doubt a master at gathering well-endowed girls onscreen, their personalities tended to awaken my strangling instincts. Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid forces me to rethink my opinion of this director; these characters are actually endearing! Many have strong motivations, there's a distinct undercurrent of loss and homesickness throughout, and as a result the show is surprisingly watchable. Oh, bare nipples are still shoved in our faces at every opportunity, which will no doubt turn people off. But this is the first time I've watched a Kaneko show and honestly felt that the characters represented more than their respective cup sizes. Well done.

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

A solid show overall, but one I do have reservations about. There'll be a write-up on this shortly, so stay tuned for that. Let me assure you right now that it is a major step forward after Gundam: Reconguista in G.

Ushio & Tora

Pretty similar to the first cour, only this one focused solidly on advancing the plot rather than monster-of-the-week adventures. So, a slight improvement, even.

Osomatsu-san

Read my article on the subject for more detail, but I'll say here that it's a great show. Probably the unexpected comedy hit of the year, considering its modest, obscure origins.

Kagewani

I'd hinted previously that I didn't like this show, but I certainly don't hate it. While certainly failing at horror, it more or less woks as a cheesy, shorter version of those Syfy channel original movies. Okay, not exactly a glowing recommendation, but there's a respectable audience for such things.

Kowabon

Unfortunately I can't give a final impression on this show because English subtitles have been almost impossible to come by. Though succeeding at actual horror unlike Kagewani, it can't boast a definitive climax like the other show. How can I say Kowabon is a truly good show if it may drop the ball at the end? Well, FI loved the seven episodes we got so far, and hope to complete it someday soon.

Attack on Titan Junior High

A fun little show if you approach it with the right attitude. Unlike some other recent comedies, this one really can't be called creative, but its single joke worked pretty well over the show's run. And of course the characters were fun to watch; I was actually surprised how well they lent themselves to comedy. Of course, newcomers to the franchise need not apply.

The Perfect Insider: Everything Becomes F

Finally, a good mystery show! One that doesn't faceplant at the end, or talk down to the audience, or put on airs of pretention to hide its bullshit! Some critics disagree with me on these points, of course,. But after the trainwreck ending of Rokka no Yuusha and the fedora-wearing middle finger of Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace, it feels great to enjoy a mystery from beginning to closing.

Owarimonogatari

I get the feeling I tend to turn a blind eye to this show's faults, given how intimate my familiarity and love for the whole franchise is. But this show had some particularly great moments, mostly involving Oikura, Shinobu, and of course Ougi (one of my favorite villains ever). Sure, I wished some parts wre as visually interesting or well-animated as previous installments. But that doesn't really dampen a good story much, one that I can't wait to see more of.

One Punch Man

Do I even need to describe how much fun this show is? Just watch it now, or you'll soon be left behind by the rest of fandom.

And that does it for the most recent season! Next one seems to have fewer shows I'm familiar with through franchises and/or creators, so we'll see how that turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment